Eggplant-- that pretty purple vegetable staring you down in the produce aisle-- can seem daunting to cook, but this simple recipe can make novice cooks seem like a dream in the kitchen.
* Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Things You'll Need:
* Eggplant (Choose one with even texture; it should feel heavy but shouldn't be more than 6 inches across
* Mozzarella (Fresh Mozzarella is preferred)
* Olive oil
* Grill pan or skillet
* Oven (to keep pieces warm as you continue to cook)
* Baking sheet
(1) Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Fahrenheit (this is a low temperature as you are only keeping the pieces warm as you cook.) Wash the eggplant and cut horizontally into 1/2 inch slices; thicker slices take longer to cook. (Optional: You can peel the skin with a peeler, but I prefer it on for the vitamins.)
Heat 1-2 tbsp of the oil in a skillet or grill pan. While oil is heating, cut mozzarella into thin slices to cover each slice on one side of the eggplant.
Once the pan is hot, add enough strips to the pan to cover, but leave enough room so you will be able to flip them. Cook one side 2 minutes; flip and then add mozzarella slice to cook side. Cook another 2 minutes.
After each side is cooked, scoop up each eggplant slice in the skillet and place on the baking sheet in the oven to further melt the mozzarella. Repeat steps 2-3 (Eggplant soaks up oil like crazy, so you will need more!)
Once you have cooked the entire eggplant, leave in oven to warm for an additional 5 minutes and then serve, with salt to taste!